Capitol Hill Art League (CHAL), a visual arts program of Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW), produces and promotes juried and non-juried exhibits throughout the year. Artists/members are 18 years- 80+ from the DC-metro area including Virginia and Maryland. We show and sell our art work at galleries and various venues in the DC region.
Our season runs January through December and expires 12/31. You can join CHAL with our online membership application on this website at any time of the year, even mid-season! $60 is for one year and two hours of volunteer time.
- Participate in juried exhibits at various venues.
- Connect our artists to opportunities and networking in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia including group and solo exhibitions.
- Accept members who are emerging beginners or seasoned professionals, 18 years and older.
- Charge a yearly membership fee of $60 with volunteer hours or $90 a year without volunteering.
- Promote member artists and their work in social media and publicity releases.
- Select award winners and sell our art work at various venues.
- Provide the opportunity to have artwork professionally photographed (for a fee).
- Meet for pre-arranged tours of museum/art exhibits locally.
- Offer professionally led art workshops/lectures for members.
2021 CHAL Steering Committee
Composed of volunteers from CHAL membership, our Steering Committee meets monthly. Responsibilities include selecting jurors, managing monthly exhibits, undertaking publicity and press relations, and managing the finances of the Capitol Hill Art League in conjunction with CHAW. Contact Steering Committee chairpersons through this email: caphillartleagueofDC@gmail.com. This email does NOT get read by all members. It is read ONLY by the Steering Committee.
- Anne Albright: Co-Chairperson, Finance Recorder/ Digital Entry Shows/ Juror Recruitment
- Karen Van Allen: Co-Chairperson, Exhibit Installations / SC Meeting Moderator
- Allison Stettler: Website, Membership Participation Roster
- Carolyn Rondthaler: Labels, Certificates, Monthly Art Challenges, Peer Critique Group
- Tara Hamilton: PR Releases/ Mind of the Artist CHAW Blog
- Felicia Reed: Community Outreach
- Karen Cohen: Former Chairperson, CHAL Historian
- Rifat Taher: Social Media
- Nan Raphael: New Venues
- Elin WhitneySmith: Web Editing
Capitol Hill Art League was created decades ago as a program of the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW), started in 1972. CHAW has provided arts education to thousands of children and adults in the Washington region, especially from the greater Capitol Hill area. Through classes, performances, and exhibitions in visual and performing arts, CHAW brings together diverse segments of the population to connect through the transforming power of creativity.
CHAW offers a tuition assistance program and flexible payment plans. CHAW is funded in part by the DC Commission on the Arts & Humanities, an agency supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. CHAW was a featured charity in the 2010-2011 Catalogue for Philanthropy, the winner of 2012 Best in the City awards for “arts classes for kids” and “arts classes” in The Washington Post Express, and the 2013 Hilly Award winner for Best Nonprofit.
For more information about CHAW, visit www.chaw.org. 10% of art sales from CHAL members goes directly to CHAW for their programs.