Capitol Hill Art League (CHAL), a visual arts program of Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW), produces and promotes juried and non-juried exhibits throughout the year. Artists/members are over 18 years. More then 100 artist from the DC-metro area including Virginia and Maryland. We show and sell our art work at galleries and various venues in the DC region.
Our season starts January 1st and ends December 31. You can join CHAL with our online membership application on this website at any time of the year, even mid-season! $60 is for one year and two hours of volunteer time.
- Participate in juried exhibits at various venues.
- Connect our artists to opportunities and networking in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia including group and solo exhibitions.
- Accept members who are emerging beginners or seasoned professionals, 18 years and older.
- Up to date on art and the environment.
- Offers a monthly art challenge for all members to enter.
- Charge a yearly membership fee of $60 with two hours of volunteer work or $90 a year without volunteering.
- Promote member artists and their work in social media and publicity releases.
- Select award winners and sell our art work at various venues.
- Provide the opportunity to have artwork professionally photographed (for a fee).
- Bi-monthly critique groups, one in person, one on zoom. Members bring 1-2 works to be discussed by the group for feedback and support.
- For other exciting activities see calendar for schedule.
2022 — 2023 CHAL Steering Committee
Composed of volunteers from CHAL membership, our Steering Committee meets monthly. Responsibilities include selecting jurors, managing monthly exhibits, undertaking publicity and press relations, and managing the finances of the Capitol Hill Art League in conjunction with CHAW. Contact Steering Committee chairpersons through this email: caphillartleagueofDC@gmail.com. This email does NOT get read by all members. It is read ONLY by the Steering Committee.
- Anne Albright: Co-Chairperson, Finance Recorder/ Digital Entry Shows/ Juror Recruitment
- Karen Van Allen: Co-Chairperson, Exhibit Installations / SC Meeting Moderator
- Carolyn Rondthaler: Labels, Certificates, Peer Critique Group
- Tara Hamilton: PR Releases/ Mind of the Artist CHAW Blog
- Erin Thompson: Membership
- Felicia Reed: Community Outreach
- Rifat Taher: Social Media, Monthly Challenges
- Nan Raphael: New Venues, Pop-ups, Art Swaps
- Jim Huttinger: Web Editing
- Elin Whitney-Smith: Web Master
- Mimi Guernica: Art and the Environment
- Rindy O’Brien: Exhibit Receptions
- Tamora Ilasat: Marketing
Capitol Hill Art League was created decades ago as a program of the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW), started in 1972. CHAW has provided arts education to thousands of children and adults in the Washington region, especially from the greater Capitol Hill area. Through classes, performances, and exhibitions in visual and performing arts, CHAW brings together diverse segments of the population to connect through the transforming power of creativity.
CHAW offers a tuition assistance program and flexible payment plans. CHAW is funded in part by the DC Commission on the Arts & Humanities, an agency supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. CHAW was a featured charity in the 2010-2011 Catalogue for Philanthropy, the winner of 2012 Best in the City awards for “arts classes for kids” and “arts classes” in The Washington Post Express, and the 2013 Hilly Award winner for Best Nonprofit.